Let The Magic Begin! - Tips on Beginning the Art of Magic

I'm often asked what the best way to start out in magic would be and I'm sure it can be different from person to person, but looking back at my own introduction (I've got a very looooong memory), gives me some ideas about what can be done and probably more importantly, - what to avoid.
I think the most important thing to do when just starting to dabble in magic is to learn a few simple tricks that can be done without having to use any gimmicked apparatus or special props. Although, I think like most people the first magic I got was by way of a Magic set.

Unfortunately the typical Magic Set is usually made up totally of "self-working" tricks, with trick cards and boxes etc., none of which can be examined by the audience after the trick has been shown and so there's the problem and worry of having to hide your tricks as soon as you finish each one.
For a beginner this creates a problem, especially among friends and classmates, who are always desperate to examine the magical props and try to find out "how it's done".
So that's why I suggest learning some simple tricks with ordinary everyday objects that can often be borrowed and then freely handed out for examination.
This really adds tremendously to the magic and of course, as you've heard me say before, - "the simple effects are the ones that are usually the most stunning to the audience and in my experience, get the best response".
As you've already heard, I started with a little magic set, but very quickly the family friend whom I called Uncle Dick, showed me how to vanish and produce coins and small objects and I have to say, at that time I thought this was real magic.
So although, like most parents, I bought my own son a magic set, I also taught him to vanish and exchange coins and several small objects, using the "French Drop". So I would certainly recommend that one of the first things that you should practice, as a beginner, is just that (French Drop) and coupled with the simple Palming of a coin.
This will allow you to carry out a nice magic routine with borrowed coins etc. and will leave you "Clean" at the end of the effects. It will also get you out of difficulty when you are expected to do something magical.
So it is really important to be prepared to entertain at all times and always have "something up your sleeve" so to speak.
You see, the moment you do one little trick for someone, YOU ARE A MAGICIAN and there's no going back.
That person will often be so amazed and amused by your trick that he'll tell others, who'll in turn, expect you to do wonderful things and it's so difficult to persuade them that you only know two tricks.
So this is why I've put together The Magic Touch Website and the "easy-to-do" tricks that I have carried with me at all times and performed them as a professional magician whenever the necessity arose.
My aim is to help you to have fun with magic and boost your confidence and also enjoy the adulation and praise, that those of us, who just love performing magic, get all the time.
The secret is always to have a couple of stunning effects that you can do anywhere, with everyday things like money, jewellery, pens or string etc. and practice them in a routine that gets you over the dreadful experience of doing your "One and Only Trick" and then when everyone says, "That was great, - show us another", you are caught in that horrible embarrassing situation where you have nothing magical in your repertoire.
The secret to your success is to start by learning simple magical effects with ordinary everyday items like money, coins, string, pens, rope and of course, many magician's favourite, - playing cards. - Remember, the simplest of effects are usually the Best!
There are lots of amazing tricks and tips to get you started at: The Magic Touch....