Back from Recess

Truth be told, I have yet to make blogging a habit of my daily life. Things have been incredibly hectic over the past couple months and I've been focusing more on passing Economics at the University of Missouri than any sort of heartfelt discussion about what's been impressing me, musically or otherwise.

Musically, 2009 has been absolutely stunning:
Bulleted and compressed raving.

- Okay, "Merriweather Post Pavillion" by Animal Collective. I'm so far behind on this one but all I can say is that I literally did not move the entirety of my first listen to this album. By the close of the first track, my friend Hannah and I had secluded ourselves in her dorm room and were laying on the floor with the lights off, simply absorbing the dynamics of this work of art. Although the first five tracks are much stronger than the conclusion, this album is probably going to end up on my top ten of the year.

- Remember that absurd animated video with the lizard, talking about sea horses and drinking out of cups? Well, if not, here it is:



This was my first introduction to electronic musician, Dan Deacon, followed by this, a video for his song, "Crystal Cat":


While I absolutely adore this song, I wouldn't consider it musically complex, nor technically worthwhile. Ear candy for certain. I sort of discounted Dan Deacon as a legitimate musician.  Then I heard his latest album, "Bromst" for the first time. My senses were bombarded by every sort of stimulus imaginable, be it catchy hooks, strange ambient noises or electronic rhythms. My favorite track, "Snookered", opens with the simple rhythmic pounding of bells and rapidly moves into an experimental romp as Deacon toys with everything imaginable, expanding the song into a piece of ritualistic beauty. 


- I now have a radio show, broadcasting live from the University of Missouri station, KCOU, every Tuesday morning, 2 - 4AM CENTRAL. Be sure to check it out. Entitled "Snack Time", it's an opportunity for you to get reacquainted with bands you may have forgotten about and have a blast listening to those on the up and up. My cohost Hannah and I will make staying up into the wee hours of the morning entirely worth your while.
Don't delay.

I leave you with a promise to update more. Be sure to check out backdated posts.
And for goodness sake, listen to the new Wavves album.